Mary Colchin JohndroePartner, Fort Worth
Mary Colchin Johndroe vigorously represents clients in civil litigation, including construction, contract, eminent domain, inverse condemnation, property rights, and government law cases. She has handled cases at all levels of the legal system; before commissions and administrative agencies, in trials and appeals within Texas state and federal courts, including the Texas and U.S. Supreme Courts. Ms. Johndroe joined Cantey Hanger in 1986 and was elected partner in 1992.
Principal Practice Areas
- Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas (J.D., 1986)
- University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, Texas (B.A. Sociology, 1979)
– graduate work in Urban Affairs
- Represented municipality in eminent domain proceedings and negotiation of property interests to extend airport runway – involved relocation of rail and utilities on more than 50 parcels.
- Counsel to international airport handling condemnations and risk avoidance in business disputes.
- Lead attorney defending large hospital against condemnations by the State achieving lucrative settlements far in excess of award.
- Attorney in charge representing river authority in substantial construction litigation resulting in favorable resolutions.
- Obtained desirable judgments as lead counsel for river authority in eminent domain and inverse condemnation.
- Represented municipality in defense of suit seeking to invalidate property tax resulting in summary judgment for client.
- Represented landowners and condemnors in condemnations in Tarrant, Dallas, Parker, Denton and Hood counties.
- Lead attorney in complex multi-party construction litigation defending Canadian company. Obtained very favorable settlement in the midst of Daubert proceedings against plaintiff’s engineering experts.
- Lead attorney defending utility companies in numerous personal injury, contract and property damage cases.
- Adjunct Professor, Texas A&M University School of Law – Spring 2013 and 2014 (Construction Law)
- Martindale Hubbell “AV Preeminent” Rating
- The American Lawyer – Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers – Eminent Domain and Construction Law
- Licensed to practice law in Texas in 1986
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Court, Northern District of Texas
- State Bar of Texas
– Litigation Section
– Construction Law Section
- Tarrant County Bar Association
– Construction Law Section
- Women’s Bar Association, Board Member, 2012-2013
- Texas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Women Influencing Business – Fort Worth Chamber of Commerce
- Arlington Chamber of Commerce – Business Development Advisory Council
- Women’s Chamber of Commerce of Texas
- International Right of Way Association
- National Association of Women Business Owners, Supporting Member
- The Women’s Center, Council of Honor
- The Women’s Foundation of North Texas
- First Texas Council of Camp Fire Blue Ribbon Award, 1996
- YWCA Tribute to Women in Business Award, 1999
- Great Women of Texas, 2007 Woman of Influence
- Fort Worth Business Press Great Women of Texas Alumni Group
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tarrant County, Charter Member, Attorneys for Littles
- “JURISDICTIONAL ISSUES DETERMINED IN ADMINISTRATIVE STAGE OF TEXAS CONDEMNATIONS” by Mary Colchin Johndroe
- Fort Worth Court of Appeals Affirms Trial Court’s Judgment in Condemnation Case in Favor of Cantey Hanger Client
- Mary Colchin Johndroe to Present at the 10th Annual Eminent Domain Institute’s Conference
- “Survey Rights and Condemnation in Texas” by Mary Colchin Johndroe
- Mary Colchin Johndroe will Present on Eminent Domain at the IRWA Chapter 36 Spring Seminar
- Mary Colchin Johndroe Appears in the Texas City Attorney Association’s Monthly Newsletter
- Texas Supreme Court Issues Long-Awaited Opinion in State v. Clear Channel Outdoor, Inc.
- TMCP Panel Educates Attorneys on Increasingly Popular Public-Private Partnerships : State Bar of Texas Blog
- Mary Colchin Johndroe Presents at the State Bar of Texas’ 22nd Annual Texas Minority Counsel
- Cantey Hanger Eminent Domain Litigation Partners Win $1.1 Million Judgment for Developers
- Mary Johndroe presents “on condemnation” to the Tarrant County Bar Association, CLE Seminar for the Environmental Law Section, February 27, 2014
- “Appellate Dilemmas in Eminent Domain — Right-to-Take Challenges, Expert Methodology, and Damages,” 10th Annual CLE International Eminent Domain Conference, September 15-16, 2016.
- “Jurisdictional Issues Determined in Administrative Stage of Texas Condemnations,” July 18, 2016.
- “‘Something Much Simpler’ in Texas Condemnation – The Separate Economic Unit,” IRWA Chapter 36, Spring Seminar, April 29, 2016.
- “Survey Rights and Condemnation in Texas,” March 28, 2016.
- “‘Something Much Simpler’ in Texas Condemnation – The Separate Economic Unit,” TCAA Monthly Member News, December 2015.
- “Hot Topics in Public/Private Partnerships,” State Bar of Texas, Minority Counsel, Austin, Texas, September 3-5, 2014
- “The Eminent and Inverse Environment – The Interplay Between Environmental Issues and Condemnation,” Tarrant County Bar Association, CLE Seminar for the Environmental Law Section, February 27, 2014
- “Pilot Program for Property Tax Appeals Begins in 2010,” Fort Worth Business Press, July 6-12, 2009
- State v. Stockton Bend 100 Joint Venture, No. 02-14-00307-CV, 2016 WL 3198960 (Tex. App.–Fort Worth June 9, 2016, no pet. h.) (mem. op.)
- In re Stockton Bend 100 Relator Joint Venture, No. 02-13-00368-CV, 2013 WL 5874581 (Tex. App.–Fort Worth Oct. 31, 2013, orig. proceeding)
- Boyer, Inc. v. Trinity River Authority of Texas, 279 S.W.3d 354 (Tex. App.— Fort Worth 2008, pet. denied)
- Blackburne & Brown Mortgage Fund I v. Atmos Energy Corp., No. 02-06-00393-CV, 2007 WL 3408653 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth Nov. 15, 2007, pet. denied) (mem. op.)
- Gregory Connolly v. Texas Utilities Co., et al., No. 02-01-00200-CV (Tex. App.—Fort Worth Sept. 27, 2001, no pet.)
- Christopher Aaron v. TU Electric Co., et al., No. 02-00-00240-CV (Tex. App.—Fort Worth August 25, 2000, no pet.)
- In re Jerry’s Chevrolet-Buick, Inc., 977 S.W.2d 565 (Tex. 1998)
- Tarrant Appraisal District v. Moore, 845 S.W.2d 820 (Tex. 1993)
- Bryant v. Winn-Dixie Stores, Inc., 786 S.W.2d 547 (Tex. App.—Fort Worth 1990, pet. denied), cert. denied, 498 U.S. 1126, 112 L.Ed.2d 1194 (Feb. 25, 1991)
- Tarrant Appraisal District, et al. v. Wilmington Trust Co., et al., No. 02-88-00139-CV (Tex. App.—Fort Worth August 31, 1989, no writ)
- H. Wendorf & D. Schlueter, Supplement to Texas Rules of Evidence Manual, 1985