Mary Hazlewood BarkleyPartner, Fort Worth
Mary Barkley’s practice includes representation of corporate clients, developers, individuals and governmental entities in real estate transactions and disputes, including eminent domain and condemnation, lease disputes, general property disputes, and constitutional rights litigation, both at trial and on appeal.
Principal Practice Areas
- St. Mary’s University School of Law (J.D., 2005)
St. Mary’s Law Journal (Editor-in-Chief)
Intern, Chief Justice Alma Lopez, San Antonio Court
Briefing Attorney, Chief Justice John Cayce, Fort Worth Court of Appeals
- Tulane University (B.S., cum laude, 2002)
- First chair trial and appellate experience in eminent domain and condemnation cases involving disputes over $1 million
- Prepared appellate briefing and oral argument before the Texas Supreme Court, Fort Worth Court of Appeals, Eastland Court of Appeals, Waco Court of Appeals, and other courts
- Represent municipality in drafting ordinances related to surface uses, oil and gas regulation, and zoning
- Represent individuals and governmental entities in constitutional litigation involving claims of regulatory taking, inverse condemnation, and First Amendment violations
- Negotiate and draft easements for utilities and for landowners across the State
- Represented energy company in federal court litigation regarding pipeline and wetland mitigation bank credits
- Represent landlords and tenants in lease disputes and negotiations
- Licensed to Practice Law in Texas, 2005
- Admitted to Practice in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fort Worth Business Press “40 Under 40” Honoree, 2018
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in the 2015, 2014, and 2013 editions of Super Lawyers Magazine, a Thomson Reuters service.
- Appointed to the Texas Bar Journal Board of Editors Committee, 2015-2018
- Voted “Top Attorney” by Fort Worth Magazine 2009 to present
- Tarrant County Bar Association Appellate Section Chair, 2016, and Executive Committee
- Austin’s Old 300 Member
- First United Methodist Church Fort Worth
- Downtown Fort Worth Rotary Club Member and Reading Mentor
- Trinity Valley School Audit Committee
- Board Member, CASA of Tarrant County
- “Liability Is Blowin’ in the Wind . . . or Is It?”
- President-elect Trump’s pipeline vow: What does it mean for Texas?
- Fort Worth Court of Appeals Affirms Trial Court’s Judgment in Condemnation Case in Favor of Cantey Hanger Client
- Cantey Hanger LLP Client Paul Harper Prevails in Protection of his Constitutional Rights to Free Speech
- Mary Barkley was Recently Interviewed by Marfa Public Radio Regarding Eminent Domain and the Trans Pecos Pipeline
- Partner Mary Barkley appointed to State Bar Committee
- Mary Hazlewood Barkley is Featured in the April 2015 Edition of Texas Rising Stars
- 6 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Selected Rising Stars
- Mary Barkley is Featured in the September 10, 2014 Dallas citybizlist.
- Cantey Hanger Eminent Domain Litigation Partners Win $1.1 Million Judgment for Developers
- Cantey Hanger is pleased to have 9 lawyers named “Rising Stars” in Super Lawyers Magazine, a Thomson Reuters service
- Presentation, A Question of Intent: The Intersection of Inverse Condemnation and Construction Law, March 2018 Tarrant County Construction Law Section Luncheon
- “Liability Is Blowin’ in the Wind . . . or Is It?”, Texas Bar Journal, December 2017.
- Presentation, Eminent Domain from the Landowner’s Perspective, November 2017, Tarrant County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section
- Presentation, Eminent Domain & Economic Development, July 11, 2016, Commercial Real Estate Association of Montgomery County
- “Energy Transfer Prevails, What Does it Mean for Texas?”, Fort Worth Business Press, October 2015
- “10 Tips for Negotiating Pipelines Deals for Landowners”, Texas Lawyer, August 2015
- “Legislature leaves unanswered questions about fracking ban”, Dallas citybizlist, August 2015
- Presentation Approved for CLE Credit, Eminent Domain: Basic Requirements and Common Pitfalls, Johnson County Bar Association (2011).
- Co-Author and Presenter, Case Law Update, 2010 Dallas Lorman Eminent Domain Seminar.
- Co-Author, 2006 Second Court of Appeals Case Law Update, presented at the 2006 Tarrant County Bench Bar Conference.
- Comment, The New Texas Ad Litem Statute: Is it Really Protecting the Best Interests of Minor Children? 35 ST. MARY’S L. J. 1035 (2004).