Ralph DugginsPartner, Fort Worth
Mr. Duggins began his legal career as a law clerk for the Chief United States District Judge in St. Louis before joining Cantey Hanger. After moving to Fort Worth, Mr. Duggins worked closely with his mentor, Cecil Munn, in a wide variety of complex commercial cases. Subsequently, he has continued to focus on commercial litigation, including contract disputes between public companies, litigation in connection with mergers and hostile takeovers, insurance coverage, and oil and gas litigation involving lease disputes.
Principal Practice Areas
- Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas, 1974, B.A., Political Science
- University of Missouri, Columbia, Missouri, 1977, J.D.
EXAMPLES OF CLIENTS MR. DUGGINS HAS REPRESENTED OR IS CURRENTLY REPRESENTING
- Berkshire Hathaway Corporation
- The City of Fort Worth
- Exxon Mobil Corporation
- Fort Worth Independent School District
- Sabre Corporation
CASES ON WHICH MR. DUGGINS HAS WORKED
- Union Pacific Resources v. Pennzoil (N.D. Tex.) – Represented UPR (now Anadarko Petroleum) in a hostile takeover attempt of Pennzoil
- Graulich, et al. v. Boeckmann, et al. (Tarrant County, TX) – Represented Berkshire Hathaway Corporation in shareholder litigation over its acquisition of BNSF Railway
- James R. Harrison, et al. v. XTO Energy Inc., et al. (Tarrant County, TX) -Represented XTO Energy and its Board in shareholder litigation over its merger with ExxonMobil
- City of Fort Worth v. Chesapeake Exploration, et al. (Tarrant County, TX) – Represented the City of Fort Worth in royalty litigation against Chesapeake Exploration and its affiliates and Total E&P and its affiliates. Case settled for over $20 million plus favorable lease amendment.
- Fort Worth Independent School District v. Chesapeake Exploration, et al. (Tarrant County, TX) – Represented the Fort Worth Independent School District in royalty litigation against Chesapeake Exploration and its affiliates and Total E&P and its affiliates. Case settled favorably.
- American Airlines v. Sabre Inc. (Tarrant County, TX and N.D. Tex.) – Represented Sabre in antitrust litigation brought by American Airlines. Case settled favorably during trial.
- Barclays Bank v. Sabre Inc. (American Arbitration Association) – Represented Sabre in arbitration brought by Barclays to recover damages under a contract. Case settled favorably shortly before final hearing.
- Lufthansa Airline Group v. Sabre Inc. (Tarrant County, TX) – Representing Sabre in contract action brought by Lufthansa and its affiliates.
- ExxonMobil v. Healey (N.D. Tex.) – Representing ExxonMobil Corporation in pending litigation against the Massachusetts Attorney General.
- Wells Fargo, et al. v. West Coast Life Ins. Co. (Tarrant County, TX – Represented affiliates of Deutsche Bank in an action against a life insurer over the validity of life insurance policies in excess of $40 million. Received favorable summary judgments and then won a jury trial in which attorneys’ fees in the amount of $4 million were awarded
- Mr. Duggins has also represented several clients as local counsel in patent infringement actions
- Missouri Bar 1977 (Inactive)
- Texas Bar 1979
- Colorado Bar 2015
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Court for the Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas, the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri; the District of Colorado; and the Third, Fourth, Fifth, Eighth, Tenth and Eleventh Circuits of Appeal
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- American Bar Association
– Co-Chair, Commercial and Banking Litigation Committee
– ABA Section of Litigation, 1991-92
- Texas State Federal Judiciary Appointments Committee, 1990-1995
- Chair, Tarrant County Bar Judicial Evaluation Committee 1992-1995
- Texas Court of Appeals (Second District), Advisory Committee, 1995-96
- Member, Texas Supreme Court Advisory Committee, 1999-2011
- Master, Eldon B. Mahon Inn of Court, 2008-2012
- Named as One of The Best Lawyers In America by Woodward/White, Inc. for his work in the “Commercial Litigation” practice area
- Texas Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters rating service, 2004-2016
- Advisory Director, J.P. Morgan Chase-Tarrant County, 1988-2008
- Director, Lena Pope Home, Inc., 1980-1996
- Director, Lena Pope Foundation, Inc. 1997-2012
- Director, Southwestern Exposition and Livestock Show, 1994 –
- Director, Cook Children’s Healthcare System and Cook Children’s Health Foundation, 1998-2006, Chairman 2004-6
- Commissioner, Texas Parks & Wildlife Commission, 2008 – , Vice-Chairman 2011 –
- Director, The Peregrine Fund, 2014 –
- 14 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 14 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 14 From Cantey Hanger Named Super Lawyers®
- 9 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Named Best Lawyers
- 7 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Named Best Lawyers
- 12 Cantey Hanger Attorneys named Super Lawyers by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Rating Service