FORT WORTH, TX. – Prominent Fort Worth attorney Brian C. Newby, of Counsel at Cantey Hanger LLP, has been promoted by the United States Air Force to the rank of Major General.
A private “pinning” ceremony, led by Major General John F. Nichols, The Adjutant General of Texas, was held July 16 at the Fort Worth Club and attended by numerous political and business leaders, including Republican Congresswoman Kay Granger, as well as Newby’s family.
Newby is the Air National Guard Assistant to The Judge Advocate General (TJAG), Pentagon, Washington, D.C. He serves as the principal advisor to the The Judge Advocate General, United States Air Force on all Air National Guard matters. In addition, he serves as the senior representative on the Air National Guard Judge Advocate Council, providing leadership, strategic planning and management of the Air National Guard (ANG) Judge Advocate program, encompassing more than 440 judge advocates (attorneys) and paralegals at Air National Guard legal offices throughout the United States and territories.
Before assuming his current position, Newby served as the Air National Guard Assistant to the Deputy Judge Advocate General and was a Chief of Staff and Vice Commander of the Texas Air National Guard, Austin , Texas. The Texas Air National Guard is composed of three air wings (F-16, C-130 and MQ-1) and four support units, containing more than 3,000 personnel, including the 136th Airlift Wing at Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth.
Newby’s previous assignments at the Pentagon, Washington D.C. include the Air National Guard Assistant to the Operations and International Law Division, Headquarters United States Air Force and the Air National Guard Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force Inspector General.
A 1983 distinguished graduate of Texas Tech University’s Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC), Newby has nearly 30 years of service with the active duty Air Force, the Air Force Reserves and the Air National Guard.
In his civilian law practice, Newby works with multiple corporate and governmental clients on commercial disputes and government affairs. He was a Chief of Staff and General Counsel to former Governor Rick Perry and a former Regent of the Texas Tech University System. He is a 1979 graduate of Western Hills High School, a 1983 graduate of Texas Tech University and 1986 graduate of The University of Texas School of Law.
He was named to the 2010 list of Extraordinary Minorities in Texas Law by Texas Lawyer magazine and a 2012 Power Attorney by the Fort Worth Business Press.
Newby currently serves on the board of the Cook Children’s Foundation and has served on numerous community non-profit and business boards and committees.
HISTORY OF ASSIGNMENTS:
1. January 1987 – April 1988, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, 366th Tactical Fighter Wing, Mountain Home Air Force Base, Idaho.
2. April 1988 – January 1989, Assistant Staff Judge Advocate, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
3. January 1989 – June 1989, Area Defense Counsel, Kunsan Air Base, Republic of Korea
4. June 1989 – February 1991, Circuit Trial Counsel, Fifth Circuit, USAF Trial Judiciary, Travis AFB, California
5. February 1991 – February 1993, Reserve Judge Advocate, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas
6. February 1994 – July 1995, Reserve Circuit Trial Counsel, Central Circuit, United States Air Force Trial Judiciary, Randolph Air Force Base, Texas
7. August 1996 – January 1999, Deputy Staff Judge Advocate, 136th Airlift Wing, Texas Air National Guard, Naval Air Station Dallas, Texas
8. January 1999 – July 2007, Staff Judge Advocate, 136th Airlift Wing, Texas Air National Guard, Naval Air Station, Joint Reserve Base, Fort Worth, Texas.
9. July 2007 – October 2009, Air National Guard Assistant to the Secretary of the Air Force Inspector General, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
10. October 2009 – October 2011, Air National Guard Assistant to Headquarters United States Air Force Operations and International Law Division, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
11. October 2011 – March 2014, Chief of Staff and Deputy Commander,Texas Air National Guard, Camp Mabry, Austin, Texas.
12. April 2014 – June 2015, Air National Guard Assistant to the Deputy Judge Advocate General, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. July 2015 – present, Air National Guard Assistant to The Judge Advocate General, Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal (with 1 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Commendation Medal (with 2 Oak Leaf Cluster)
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award
National Defense Service Medal (with 1 Bronze Service Star)
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short Tour
Armed Forces Reserve Medal (with M Device)
Air Force Training Ribbon
Texas Faithful Service Medal (with 3 Devices)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant 14 May 1983
First Lieutenant 28 July 1985
Captain 28 July 1987
Major 3 December 1996
Lieutenant Colonel 6 July 2001
Colonel 28 September 2007
Brigadier General 16 October 2011
Major General 1 July 2015