David Tracy represents high net worth individuals, as well as family owned entities, in the planning, structure, and implementation, of various strategies involving tax, asset, and succession planning. David also serves as a consultant to a client’s other professionals on complex federal tax matters.
- Wealth transfer planning for individuals and families, including business succession planning
- Estate planning
- Probate and trust law
- ERISA, employee benefits, and individual retirement accounts planning
- Partnerships (including specifically limited partnerships), limited liability companies, and corporations — with emphasis on tax planning issues
- Licensed to practice in Texas, 1970
- Admitted to U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- Admitted to U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- Admitted to U.S. Tax Court
- Admitted to U.S. Supreme Court
- Board Certified — Tax Law — Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Board Certified — Estate Planning & Probate Law — Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Recognized in Fort Worth Inc. Magazine for being a “Top Attorney” for 2018
- Recognized as a “Texas Super Lawyer for 2018” in Estate Planning and Probate by Texas Monthly Magazine in the special September/October issue,
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the fields of
Tax Law, and Trusts and Estates, 1995-2019
Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law, 2007-2019
by Woodward/White, Inc.
- Recognized as a “Super Lawyer”, by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters rating service,
2003 – 2018
- Named 1982 Outstanding Young Lawyer — Tarrant County Young Lawyer’s Association
- Lecturer in Law, Southern Methodist University School of Law (1975-77). Added the Advanced Corporate Taxation course to the curriculum in the Master of Laws Graduate Tax Program.
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Board of Directors, Texas Academy of Probate & Trust Lawyers — Chair (2003-2005)
- Real Estate, Probate & Trust Law Section, State Bar of Texas — Section Chair (1991-1992)
- Tax Advisory Commission, Texas Board of Legal Specialization (1987-2000) and (Chair 1999-2000)
- Fort Worth Business & Estate Council — Chair (1984-1985).
- Sustaining Life Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Sustaining Charter Fellow, Tarrant County Bar Foundation
- Charter Member, College of the State Bar of Texas
- Board of Directors, The Fort Worth Public Library Foundation (1993-1999)
- Tax Counsel (Pro Bono), Historic Fort Worth, Inc.
- Board of Directors, Tarrant County Convention Center (1983-1989); Chairman (1986-87).
- Board of Directors, Fort Worth Convention and Visitors Bureau (1986-1989); Member, Executive Committee (1986-1989).
- Board of Directors, Mental Health Association of Tarrant County (1975-78).
- Board of Directors, Shakespeare in the Park, Inc. (1979-81).
- Cantey Hanger Attorneys Listed in Fort Worth Inc. Magazine
- 15 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- ‘Best Lawyers’ recognizes 11 Cantey Hanger LLP attorneys
- 12 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Named Super Lawyers
- 360 West Magazine, July Edition, Names 14 Cantey Hanger Lawyers as Top Attorneys for 2017
- 14 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 14 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 14 From Cantey Hanger Named Super Lawyers®
- 7 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Named Best Lawyers
- 9 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Named Best Lawyers
- 12 Cantey Hanger Attorneys named Super Lawyers by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters Rating Service
- Texas Tax Service – Chapter 16 (Rental and Lease Transactions), Matthew Bender & Co. (1984)
- Southwestern Law Journal (1971, 1974, 1975, and 1976)
- The Business Lawyer (1976)
- Texas Bar Journal (1976)
- Community Property Law Journal (1976)
- Taxes Magazine (1976)
Speaking Engagements (listed by Course Sponsor)
- State Bar of Texas (1975, 1978, 1980, 1982, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2003 and 2006)
- University of Texas School of Law — Current Issues Affecting Partnerships, Limited Partnerships and LLCs (2005)
- Southern Methodist University School of Law (1976 and 1979)
- Trust Division of the Texas Bankers Association (1978 and 1989)
- Southwestern Legal Foundation — now the Center for American and International Law (1984)
- CLE International (2001)
- National Association of Personal Financial Advisors Conference (1996)
- Cantey Hanger Partner Served on a Panel at the Bi-Annual Dallas-Fort Worth Joint Appellate Seminar November 13, 2019
- Brooke Hubbard joins Cantey Hanger Law Firm November 11, 2019
- Cantey Hanger Assists CarrollCLEAN with a Successful Aquisition November 11, 2019
- When is an Oil & Gas Joint Venture Interest a Security? By: Douglas W. Clayton Published in Dallas Bar Association’s Headnotes November 2019 October 28, 2019
- Cantey Hanger attorneys practicing in Austin, Texas prepare to celebrate with clients in our historic office building October 28, 2019