- Representation of Sabre in breach of contract action relating to Lufthansa’s imposition of a surcharge on customers who book tickets through Sabre.
- Co-counsel on behalf of Berkshire Hathaway in defense of putative class action brought under ERISA. Matter resolved favorably before trial.
- Representation of commercial real estate developer in dispute with former partner in connection with $60+ million development. Matter resolved favorably after defeating opponent’s Anti-SLAPP motion to dismiss.
- Co-counsel for Sabre in breach of contract and anti-trust actions brought against it by American Airlines claiming over $1 billion in damages. Cases settled favorably during jury trial.
- Representation of airline caterer in contract dispute with American Airlines.
- Defended Electronic Arts Inc. against breach of contract and fraud claims where plaintiff asserted millions in damages. Obtained summary judgment dismissing all claims before trial.
- Represented Wells Fargo Bank in litigation it filed in state court seeking declarations that certain investor owned life insurance policies having death benefits over $40 million were valid and enforceable. Obtained favorable summary judgments and recovered $3 million in attorneys’ fees in a jury trial.
- Co-counsel on behalf of international entertainment franchise in disputes with franchisees over territorial rights.
- Represented landlord of industrial property in suit against former tenant for environmental contamination. Case was resolved favorably before trial.
- Represented Williamson-Dickie in a suit against insurer for coverage for losses attributable to environmental contamination. Case settled favorably before trial.
- Represented estate in dispute with IRS over tax owed on annuity. Case resolved favorably before trial.
- Represented natural gas producer and midstream companies in a disputes over construction of a natural gas processing facilities in Tarrant and Parker counties.
- Represented helium producer in action against the Bureau of Land Management in connection with its administration of the federal helium reserve.
- Representation of small business owners in disputes with partners, shareholders, and managers over breaches of fiduciary and contractual duties.
Oil and Gas:
- Representation of payees in royalty disputes, including underpayment, nonparticipating royalty rights, post-production deductions, and suspension issues.
- Representation of owners of mineral and water rights in title disputes and water and surface use agreements.
- Represented the City of Fort Worth and the Fort Worth Independent School District in suits filed in state court against Chesapeake Exploration and Total E&P for underpayment of royalties in connection with hundreds of oil and gas leases. Both cases settled favorably returning millions of dollars to taxpayers in past and future underpayments.
- Representation of working interest owners in claims against Chesapeake and Total E&P to recover for breaches of rights under joint operating and exploration and development agreements. Case resolved after obtaining summary judgments for clients confirming questions of liability.
- Representation of owner of mineral rights in West Texas in claims against life-tenant to recover for waste and to determine title. Case resolved favorably before trial.
- Representation of trademark owners in registration and prosecution of trademarks.
- Representation of trademark owners in actions to enforce trademark rights in state and federal courts and before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Representation as local counsel in patent disputes in the Eastern, Northern, and Western Districts of Texas.
- Representation of online retailer’s claims for trademark infringement and unfair competition. Case settled favorably before trial, resulting in withdrawal of oppositions pending before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
- Representation of auto parts manufacturer in claims for trademark infringement and unfair competition. Obtained verdict after trial affirming validity of registered trademarks and finding willful unfair competition.
- Representation of packaged food manufacturer in dispute over alleged violations of Uniform Trade Secret Act and employee non-competition agreement. Case reached confidential settlement after defeating opponent’s motion for temporary injunction.
- Representation of software manufacturer in breach of contract suit against Dell Computer and in defense of claims for indemnity related to patent infringement. Case settled favorably after obtaining a ruling in client’s favor on Dell’s motion to dismiss.
- Representation in dispute over ownership and cancellation of trademarks related to professional sports franchise. Matter settled favorably before trial.
- Representation of search engine in defense of claims asserted by American Airlines for trademark infringement based on sale of keyword advertising. Matter settled favorably before trial.
- Represented international importer of consumer goods in suit alleging trademark infringement. Matter dismissed by agreement.
Other Representative Engagements:
- Representation of ExxonMobil in actions against attorneys general of New York, Massachusetts, and the US Virgin Islands challenging alleged violations of First Amendment rights about speech over climate change.
- Represented church in First Amendment/Religious Freedom Restoration Act case seeking to require public school to allow church to hold on-campus after school Bible club. Case resolved favorably after hearing on request for temporary injunction.
- Participate in independent investigations and analyses of abuse prevention policies and procedures on behalf of civic and religious institutions.