- Fort Worth
Mary Barkley’s practice includes representation of corporate clients, developers, individuals and governmental entities in real estate transactions and disputes, including eminent domain and condemnation, lease disputes, general property disputes, and constitutional rights litigation, both at trial and on appeal.
Ms. Barkley is the Chair of the Firm’s Appellate Section and is Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
Principal Practice Areas
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
- First chair trial and appellate experience in eminent domain and condemnation cases involving disputes over $1 million
- Prepared appellate briefing and oral argument before the Texas Supreme Court, Fort Worth Court of Appeals, Eastland Court of Appeals, Waco Court of Appeals, and other courts
- Represent municipality in drafting ordinances related to surface uses, oil and gas regulation, and zoning
- Represent individuals and governmental entities in constitutional litigation involving claims of regulatory taking, inverse condemnation, and First Amendment violations
- Draft easements, development agreements, purchase and sale agreements, lease agreements, and other transactional documents including title curative documents, for developers, buyers, and sellers
- Represented energy company in federal court litigation regarding pipeline and wetland mitigation bank credits
- Represent landlords and tenants in lease disputes and negotiations
- Represent landowners in suits involving alleged contamination of real property
- Licensed to Practice Law in Texas, 2005
- Board Certified in Civil Appellate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization, 2020
- Admitted to practice in the United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, and Western Districts, the Southern District Bankruptcy Court, and the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Appointed to the Texas Bar Journal Board of Editors Committee, 2018-2021
- Recognized as a “Texas Super Lawyer” in Eminent Domain by Texas Monthly Magazine in the special September/October issue, 2018-2021.
- Fort Worth Business Press “40 Under 40” Honoree, 2018
- Recognized as a “Rising Star” in the 2015, 2014, and 2013 editions of Super Lawyers Magazine, a Thomson Reuters service.
- Appointed to the Texas Bar Journal Board of Editors Committee, 2015-2018
- Voted “Top Attorney” by Fort Worth Magazine 2009 to present
- Tarrant County Bar Association Appellate Section Chair, 2016, and Executive Committee
- Austin’s Old 300 Member
- First United Methodist Church Fort Worth
- Downtown Fort Worth Rotary Club Member and Reading Mentor
- Trinity Valley School Audit Committee
– Board Member, CASA of Tarrant County
- Fellow, Tarrant County Bar Foundation, 2018
- Recognized in Fort Worth Inc. Magazine for being a “Top Attorney” for 2018
- Named Top Attorney by 360 West magazine, 2020
- St. Mary’s University School of Law (J.D., 2005)
– St. Mary’s Law Journal (Editor-in-Chief)
– Intern, Chief Justice Alma Lopez, San Antonio Court of Appeals
- Briefing Attorney, Second Court of Appeals, 2005-2007
- Tulane University (B.S. 2002)
– Honors: Cum Laude
- “Avenues for Tenant Relief When Business is Closed by Local Order”, April 1, 2020
- “Are Businesses Due Compensation for Damages Caused by Stay-at-Home Orders Resulting from COVID-19?”, March 31, 2020
- Presentation, Acquiring Rights of Way the Right Way, Permian Basin Landman’s Association, April 2018
- Presentation, A Question of Intent: The Intersection of Inverse Condemnation and Construction Law, March 2018 Tarrant County Construction Law Section Luncheon
- “Liability Is Blowin’ in the Wind . . . or Is It?”, Texas Bar Journal, December 2017.
- Presentation, Eminent Domain from the Landowner’s Perspective, November 2017, Tarrant County Bar Association Corporate Counsel Section
- Presentation, Eminent Domain & Economic Development, July 11, 2016, Commercial Real Estate Association of Montgomery County
- “Energy Transfer Prevails, What Does it Mean for Texas?”, Fort Worth Business Press, October 2015
- “10 Tips for Negotiating Pipelines Deals for Landowners”, Texas Lawyer, August 2015
- “Legislature leaves unanswered questions about fracking ban”, Dallas citybizlist, August 2015
- Presentation Approved for CLE Credit, Eminent Domain: Basic Requirements and Common Pitfalls, Johnson County Bar Association (2011).
- Co-Author and Presenter, Case Law Update, 2010 Dallas Lorman Eminent Domain Seminar.
- Co-Author, 2006 Second Court of Appeals Case Law Update, presented at the 2006 Tarrant County Bench Bar Conference.
- Comment, The New Texas Ad Litem Statute: Is it Really Protecting the Best Interests of Minor Children? 35 ST. MARY’S L. J. 1035 (2004).
- Mary H. Barkley Receives Certification in Civil Appellate Law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- Cantey Hanger Partner Mary Barkley has been appointed to the Board of Directors of the Tarrant County Bar Association
- 10 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 16 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Honored by Peers as Top Attorneys
- Avenues for Tenant Relief When Business is Closed by Local Order
- Are Businesses Due Compensation for Damages Caused by Stay-at-Home Orders Resulting from COVID-19?
- 12 Cantey Hanger Lawyers Named as Top Attorneys in Fort Worth Magazine
- 11 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- Cantey Hanger Attorneys Listed in Fort Worth Inc. Magazine
- 15 Cantey Hanger Lawyers have become Fellows of the Tarrant County Bar Foundation in 2018
- 15 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 13 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Listed at “Top Attorneys” in the 360West July, 2018 Publication
- Partner Mary Barkley re-appointed to State Bar Committee
- “Liability Is Blowin’ in the Wind . . . or Is It?”
- President-elect Trump’s pipeline vow: What does it mean for Texas?
- Fort Worth Court of Appeals Affirms Trial Court’s Judgment in Condemnation Case in Favor of Cantey Hanger Client
- Cantey Hanger LLP Client Paul Harper Prevails in Protection of his Constitutional Rights to Free Speech
- Mary Barkley was Recently Interviewed by Marfa Public Radio Regarding Eminent Domain and the Trans Pecos Pipeline
- Partner Mary Barkley appointed to State Bar Committee
- Mary Hazlewood Barkley is Featured in the April 2015 Edition of Texas Rising Stars
- 6 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Selected Rising Stars
- Mary Barkley is Featured in the September 10, 2014 Dallas citybizlist.
- Cantey Hanger Eminent Domain Litigation Partners Win $1.1 Million Judgment for Developers
- Cantey Hanger is pleased to have 9 lawyers named “Rising Stars” in Super Lawyers Magazine, a Thomson Reuters service