- Fort Worth
April Robbins has practiced in the area of insurance defense litigation for over 30 years. She represents clients in personal injury, premises liability, products liability, subrogation, general tort liability, employment, construction defects and commercial litigation. She has successfully handled numerous lawsuits representing individuals, product manufacturers, pilots, aircraft leasing companies, aviation instructors and commercial businesses. She has significant trial experience in federal and state district courts throughout Texas.
Ms. Robbins has represented domestic and international insurers, including Underwriters participating in the Lloyd’s of London insurance market. She handles both first-party and third-party insurance claims as well as coverage issues.
Ms. Robbins is a frequent speaker on the topic of insurance litigation and multi-district litigation for state and national insurance organizations.
- Baylor University School of Law, J.D., 1990, Order of Barristers
- Tarleton State University, B.B.A, 1987, summa cum laude
- Amicus Brief for Baptist General Convention in First Baptist Church of San Antonio vs. Bexar County Appraisal Review Board, 833 S.W.2d 108 (Tex. 1992)
- Draper v. KK Ford, 2006 U.S. App. LEXIS 21464 (5th Cir. 2006)
Successfully defended employee’s claim for discrimination claiming wrongful termination under the disabilities law.
- Lizette Leyva v. Ranchers & Farmers Mutual Inc. Co (2018)
Successfully defended fraudulent theft claim.
- Blessing Solomon v. Assurant, Inc., Ranchers & Farmers Mutual Ins. Co, Cause no 2013-59493; (2015)
Successfully defended first party claim for fire damage with defense of fraud.
- Deemer v. Bontz, 2007 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 79253 (N.D. Tex. 2007)
Successfully challenged personal jurisdiction in case involving Nebraska airplane repair company and its president.
- Stone v. CAC Vi, LP, 2006 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 67042 (N.D. Tex. 2006)
Successfully obtained summary judgment for apartment complex in wrongful death claim concerning negligent security.
- Draper v. KK Ford, L.P., 2005 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 16979 (N.D. Tex. 2005)
Successfully defended summary judgment for employer on FMLA claim.
- Buenrostro v. Flight Safety Int’l, Inc., 2001 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 13871 (W.D. Tex. 2001)
Obtained summary judgment that was affirmed on appeal for employer on sexual harassment claim.
- Ranchers & Farmers Mutual Ins. Co. v. Stahlecker, 2010 Tex. App. LEXIS 8797 (Tex. App.—Beaumont 2010, no writ)
Successfully defended challenge to arbitration agreement.
- Central Freight Lines, Inc. v. Smith, No. CC-07-16351-D County Court at Law No. 4, Dallas County, Texas
Obtained favorable jury verdict in age discrimination case.
- Diaz v. DTC West Tidwell Corp., 2009 Tex. App. LEXIS 7845 (Tex. App.—Houston [14th Dist.] 2009, no writ)
Successful defended property owner on wrongful death claim for the criminal conduct of third parties.
- Bobora v. Unitrin Insurance Services., 255 S.W.3d 331 (Tex. App.—Dallas 2008, no writ)
Won jury verdict for indemnity company in breach of guaranty case and affirmed on appeal.
- In Re: Delta Lloyds Insurance Co. of Houston, Texas 339 S.W.3d 384 (Multidistrict Litigation Panel of Texas 2008)
Successfully obtained transfer of venue of Hurricane Rita cases to MDL court.
- Decrescentis v. Metro Basements & Waterproofing, 2004 Tex. App. LEXIS 10904 (Tex. App.-Fort Worth 2004)
Won summary judgment for target defendant in construction defect case.
- Wellington Insurance Company v. Standard Guaranty Insurance Company.
Successfully obtained arbitration verdict of reimbursement for carrier on coverage issues.
- Cervantes v. Home State & County Mutual.
Successfully defended carrier in first party bad faith arbitration.
- Hilton v. Central Freight,
Successfully obtained plaintiff’s verdict in age discrimination suit.
Bar Admissions and Certifications
Professional and Community
- State Bar of Texas
- Tarrant County Bar Association
- Tarrant County Bar Foundation
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- Active volunteer –Tabernacle Baptist Church; VBS/Praise team/ women’s ministry
- Sustaining Life Fellow, Texas Bar Foundation
- Fort Worth Women Who Care 2019-2021
- Volunteer – Aviation Insurance Association Education Committee
News, Publications, and Presentations
- “The Texas MDL Statute and Insurance Litigation,” Journal of Texas Insurance Law (Winter 2008)
- “Y2K and Aviation: What’s the Big Deal?” SMU Air Journal (1999)
- “It’s August: Does My GPS Work?” Women in Aviation (Winter 1998)
- “Are Service Bulletins Mandatory?” Women in Aviation (Fall 1997)
- Liability for Criminal Acts of Third Parties, National Association of Insurance Women and Texas Independent Insurance Adjusters
- Legal Update for Insurance Personnel, Texas Independent Insurance Adjusters
- Bad Faith in the Lone Star State, Texas Department of Insurance and HomeFirst Agency Adjusters
- Changing Legal Landscape in Texas, Texas Independent Insurance Adjusters
- MDL and Consolidation: Tools to Use to Aid in Case Management, State Bar of Texas, Advanced Personal Injury Seminar
- You’re Going to Be Sued, National Association of Insurance Women
- Former Instructor, National Real Estate and Right of Way Seminar
- Frequent CE lecturer for TIIAA
Get In Touch
Fort Worth, Texas 76102