Mr. Smith’s area of Litigation practice encompasses all areas of insurance defense including aviation, products liability, professional malpractice, general liability and casualty. He has a widely diversified experience in air carrier litigation, aviation product manufacturer litigation, aerial applicator/toxic tort litigation, and fixed base operator and aircraft owner/operator litigation.
Principal Practice Areas
Dallas, Texas 75201
Aviation insurance defense experience includes aviation insurance coverage issues and declaratory judgment litigation. The litigation practice includes appellate work at all levels through the Supreme Court of the United States. His Business Transaction practice area includes organizing and structuring business entities and business transactions, negotiating contracts, negotiating and structuring acquisitions, financing and commercial transactions. The transactions practice includes representation of aircraft dealers and brokers, and other general business clients, and involves the acquisition, sale, financing, leasing, management, and operation of transport aircraft and executive jet aircraft; banking transactions involving asset based and floor plan financing for aircraft and inventory; and complex aircraft construction and interior finishing contracts.
• State Bar of Texas
• American Bar Association
• Dallas Bar Association
• Tarrant County Bar Association
• Lawyer-Pilot Bar Association
• Supreme Court of Texas
• All Courts of the State of Texas
• United States District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of Texas
• United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the Eleventh Circuit
• Supreme Court of the United States
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Advisory Board, Journal of Air Law and Commerce, a publication of Southern Methodist University School of Law
- The Wings Club
- Named to “Best Lawyers in America” list by Woodward/White, Inc., 2008-2016, 2019-2021
- Named “Super Lawyer in Aviation and Aerospace” by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters rating service, 2007-2016
- Recognized as a “Texas Super Lawyer” in Aviation and Aerospace by Texas Monthly Magazine in the special September/October issue, 2018-2021.
AVIATION RATINGS AND EXPERIENCE:
Mr. Smith holds an Airline Transport Pilot Certificate, a Learjet Type Rating, Flight Instructor, Ground Instructor Certificates, and Airframe and Power Plant Mechanic Certificate, is an FAA Accident Prevention Safety Counselor, and is a member of the International Society for Air Safety Investigators. He maintains his currency and regularly attends FlightSafety International Inc.’s recurrent flight training programs.
Charlie celebrates, in 2017, 50 years as a pilot.
Commercial Pilot Certificate for Single and Multi-Engine Land Aircraft, Instrument Rating (1968); Learjet Type Rating (1981); and Airline Transport Pilot Certificate (1985).
Cessna Mustang CE510 Single Pilot Type Rating (2008).
Federal Aviation Administration Wright Brothers Master Pilot Award in 2022
Flight Instructor Certificate (1968) for Single and Multi-Engine Land Aircraft and Instrument Rating.
Certified Ground Instructor for Basic, Advanced and Instrument Ground School (1968).
Current Airline Transport Certificate and Flight Instructor Certificate.
Certified Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic (2003).
1976 to 1991 – appointed Accident Prevention Safety Counselor by the Federal Aviation Administration and has spoken at many aviation safety meetings at the request of the Federal Aviation Administration.
International Society for Air Safety Investigators.
FlightSafety International Pilot Initial Training, Learjet Learning Center, Tucson, Arizona (1981).
FlightSafety International Pilot Initial Training, Cessna Mustang, Cessna Learning Center, Wichita Kansas (2008).
FlightSafety International Pilot Initial and Recurrent Training, FlightSafety/Textron Aviation Learning Center, Wichita Kansas (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022).
FlightSafety International Pilot Initial Training, MU-2, Houston Learning Center, Houston, Texas (2002)
FlightSafety International Pilot Initial Training, Beech Bonanza F-33A, (2021), Recurrent Training, (2022)
FlightSafety International ProCard (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022).
• Southern Methodist University School of Law Juris Doctor, 1974
- Southwestern Law Review, Publications Editor
- Barristers Honorary Legal Fraternity
- Order of the Coif
- Phi Delta Phi
• Southern Methodist University Bachelor of Business Administration, 1971
- Seven Cantey Hanger Lawyers Included in 28th Edition of The Best Lawyers in America
- 10 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 11 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 15 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- ‘Best Lawyers’ recognizes 11 Cantey Hanger LLP attorneys
- 14 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 14 Cantey Hanger attorneys named Super Lawyers
- 14 From Cantey Hanger Named Super Lawyers®
- 9 Cantey Hanger Attorneys Named Best Lawyers
- Cantey Hanger Announces “14 New Lawyers” in Texas Lawyer Magazine